Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cookie Fail





I adore s'mores. They are one of the most delicious treats in my book. That being said, I haven't had one in years, but with the end of summer nearing, they have been on my mind.

I looked online and sure enough, there are heaps of S'mores Cookies recipes. Unfortunately, however, the majority of them call for graham crackers. I would say that we don't have graham crackers here, but that's not entirely true. You can sometimes find them at foreign food stores, but there aren't any near us. I really didn't want to take a train an hour downtown and then check all of the foreign food shops until I found them.

I figured I could just do a chocolate chip cookie and add in marshmallows. "What would the difference be?" I thought.




I was so, so wrong.

I started out with the Nestle Toll House recipe -- a tried and true classic. Then I added two and a half bars of chopped chocolate and a couple handfuls of chopped up mini marshmallows.

(I think it is at this point that I should mention that we don't have Jet-Puffed marshmallows, or whatever the brand is at home. The most common marshmallow is a medium-sized, colored, and tropical-flavored "marshmallow".)




So far, so good, right?!?




So I mixed it all up and dropped 1/2 tablespoons onto a sheet, as per usual.




I popped them in the oven and returned 8 minutes later to find this.




Are you serious?!? I spent the next five minutes going through the batter and pulling out the marshmallows.




Second time around, I got my 1/2 tablespoon of dough and wrapped a marshmallow bit in it. Then after 5 minutes of baking, I put a new marshmallow on top.




Right out of the oven they didn't look too bad, just not very cute.




Then they cooled.




They didn't even taste that good. I mean, the standard Toll House bit was as expected, but the marshmallows ruined it. They were either super sticky and gross to chew or they were hardened, melted sugar.

I decided I could at least salvage the last round and keep the marshmallows out all together - best idea of the night!!

The melting marshmallow issue really perplexed me. Why did it seem to work in EVERY OTHER recipe I found online? Most were "bake at 375 for 10 minutes," I baked at 350 for 8. Surely the graham cracker powder can't make that much of a difference. The only explanation I can come up with is that our marshmallows are simply different. A higher sugar content, perhaps?

The awful thing is that I'm still really pining for these cookies. I think I'll have to take a trip this weekend to see if I can't find the right marshmallows and hopefully even some graham crackers. Fingers crossed!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment