Friday, November 16, 2012

Not-So-Celebratory Apple Pie

 
Yesterday was supposed to be an epic day. Instead it turned out pretty lame:
 
 Y gave a really big presentation that he practiced for weeks. He did a great job at the presentation Q&A session on Wednesday, so there was no doubt that he'd nail the presentation. Turns out that it could have gone better.
 
It is time to start thinking of preschools for K and there is a super popular one near us. It is really difficult to get in, simply because of the crazy amount of children in the area. At that particular school, if you can get your kid into pre-preschool (two mornings a week), then they are automatically put into the regular preschool (four full days and one half day a week). If you do not get into the pre-preschool, you have to line up days in advance to secure your spot. To get into pre-preschool, it is just an interview. Seemed easy. The interview was on Wednesday - I thought it went great! K played the whole time and had such fun; I understood and could carry on a conversation with the teacher. Alas, we found out on Thursday that there were 80 kids trying for 24 spots and he wasn't one of the lucky ones.
 
Also, last week I met a Mexican woman who lives in our neighborhood and she offered to take me to free Japanese lessons put on by the city next to ours. I asked if she thought I could take K along and she said that there is childcare. What?!?! We went to the lessons on Thursday morning and it was awesome. I'm not trying to sound boastful, but the teachers were hesitant to put me in the lessons due to my current ability being on the higher side, but I learned stuff during the lesson and know that I would learn more if I kept going. Also, K cried for about 30 seconds and then played for the next two hours! It went so well. Then the bad news came - the childcare is full, so we are on the waiting list. If someone quits lessons, we are in (we are first on the list), but until then, no Japanese lessons for me.
 
 
While this was meant to be a celebratory apple pie, it ended up being a pie in which to drown our sorrows (hehe!). My mom has made this apple pie for ages, and I love it. She told me just this morning that she doesn't care for apple pie, but since my dad loves it, she makes it. WHAT?!?!? I'm not sure what cookbook this pie came from, but this is the recipe I used.
 
For the crust I mixed 420g of flour, a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar in a big bowl. Then I added 280g of butter.
 
 
I don't have a pastry knife, so I just use my fingers to mix that up until there are little crumbs, no bigger than the size of peas. Then add cold water, little by little mixing it into the flour until the dough sticks together.
 
 
Separate the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap them up and pop them in the fridge. While those are cooling, you can prepare the filling.
 
 
We have pretty giant apples 'round these parts, so I grabbed three and got to peeling and chopping.
 
 
Put all of the chopped pieces into a big bowl, add 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg. Mix all of that up as well as you can (this will probably depend on how big your bowl is). Next pull out the bigger of your two crust pieces, roll it out and pop it into a pie tin.
 
 
Then fill it with your spiced apples.
 
 
Roll out your second crust piece and put it on top and pinch up the sides so the pie is enclosed. Then cut something into the crust to let some air out. Since this cake was initially meant to be a celebratory pie for Y, I used a heart cookie cutter to place a heart in the middle.
 
 
 Then bake at 200C (400F) for 50 minutes. Cut a slice...
 

 
and eat! 
 
 
 And make your lame day just a little bit better ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment